Thursday, April 5, 2012

Soon I'm leaving, on a jet plane...

Well that's all the beamtime over, for now. I just got back on Monday night from 5 days straight, somehow ended up on night shift (I think that was out of compassion for my two colleagues who were both going to an electrochemistry workshop starting on Tuesday). We were doing some experiments looking at corrosion of different types of steel in carbon dioxide-containing solutions, and they worked really well. Meaning, we should get a number of papers out of this.

Anyway so this week has been catching up on sleep, looking forward to Easter (although I must guiltily confess this has so far been more about the time off work than remembering what Jesus did for us). And getting ready for my next trip.

Mum and I are heading off to Europe for 6 weeks. Basically it stemmed from a conversation we had several months ago. Mum was lamenting that we didn't make it to Prague on our previous Europe trip (when she and the boys came over for Christmas in London when I was living there in 2005). I'd suggested it at the time, but everyone felt too weird about actually going to Paris and Rome - after all, those places don't actually exist in reality, they only exist on TV and in history books - that we decided those would be enough. And ever since then, she said, she's seen so much about it and wished we had gone. I said, 'Well, we can always make another trip.' So here we go!

It looks like we should have fairly regular internet access while we're away, so I'll try and keep this updated as much as I can. In the meantime I will leave you with a map of our approximate route, and keep trying to brush up some Czech. Ještě se vrátím...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great trip, I'm looking forward to hearing about it.
Christina
PS apparently I am a robot, I struggle to get the letters right!