Friday, April 27, 2012

26 April: Nice, day 3

This morning an Australian talked to me. In French. I replied, 'Je ne parle pas Francais'... Then he asked (in English) what time the church was supposed to open.
While this was amusing, it wasn't the first time we've been asked for directions. On our second day in Nice, while walking back to the train station after visiting the Musee Marc Chagall (Marc Chagall museum) we were asked by a lady in French which way to the museum - all I understood was 'Marc Chagall' and the fact she was asking a question and pointing in the direction we had just come from, so I pointed that way and indicated she should go up and then turn right.
And that wasn't the first time either - in Liverpool, someone (who sounded pretty local) asked us where the Hilton was. We didn't know that one, at the time. But it's been encouraging that we haven't stood out like tourists, that people have been asking us for directions!

Today we took a day trip from Nice to the village of Eze. It's perched up on a cliff overlooking the sea, and there is a surviving medieval village which has cafes, craft shops, a cactus garden, and a couple of very pricey hotels. Here are some photos I took:





Funny sign for the day: check out the 'American' baguette options!

No comments: