We made our way back down to the vans and organised ourselves into them, one van per family to be visited. Ian and Beryl came along with me; I really felt for them because they didn���t get the same opportunity.
We passed Tom���s school (Sambuli primary) on the way to his house and once gain were greeted with a Maasai welcome by the whole village, about 40-50 people. Tom���s mother Jacinta (who writes the letters to me) was one of the first to greet me and I gave her a big hug. We all shook hands and danced our way back to the house.

Me with Tom's family in their house
They invited me inside to sit on the bench, so with Tom and his three brothers sitting beside me we took some pictures and I gave them their gifts. They loved the puppets (although one of the eyes was picked off within about ten minutes, so I hope they can fix it!) and I think Jacinta especially appreciated the Bible storybook that I had for Tom. After that we moved outside, with the furniture and gifts and all the kids. We prayed and then had some speeches. The project zone chairman and secretary spoke about how they had been waiting for a sponsor to come, because they receive all this support and things that help the community but they don���t really know who it is that is helping them. The secretary also said that from the letters they had assumed that Bridget was a man ��� which made everybody laugh. I got up and gave a short speech, again thanking God, as they had already done, for bringing me to them and said something like if it was not for Him I would not have been able to help or to come. (I got a bit tearful.) Ian said a few words also, thanking them for the welcome. Then they presented us with gifts: a necklace and earrings for Beryl and a full Maasai outfit for me ��� skirt, blouse, belt, bracelet; all exquisitely embroidered with beads. It was only when I got back to the hotel that I looked at the belt and realised (because of how the buckle holes were worn) that it must have been somebody���s that they gave up for me. I knew this sort of thing was going to happen, that I would be given the widow���s mite (as it were), but the only response is to accept it.

Outside Tom's family's house, after being dressed in a traditional Maasai outfit
We closed in prayer and then Jacinta and some of the women gathered around. She told me how they all loved Jesus and had been praying for my journey. I said how much I admired their faith, and that many people in New Zealand have so many things that they think they don���t need God. It was a very special moment, to realise these women are my sisters in Christ and to be able to share that with them. Being ���made��� a Maasai helped as well, I think, to show that I was just one of them ��� human.
After this we took some more photos, with the family and with all the women, then they escorted us all back to the vans, singing all the way. Jacinta provided a summary translation (praising God for bringing me), although I could hear the words ���Iesu��� and ���Niuzilan��� on a regular basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment