The ���hotel��� we are staying at is right on the main road, so we all got woken up at about 4 am from all the trucks going past. This made for some cranky people by the end of the day but I���ll get to that. I had offered to go around and knock on everyone���s doors at 6.30 to wake them up but there was really no need!
After breakfast we drove to the Mulala primary school and were greeted by about 700 children. The principal took us to the staff room and introduced all the teachers, after which we had to introduce ourselves like yesterday. Then we each went to different classes, I went to year 7. The guy I was with was a bit of an idiot ��� using broken English to talk to the kids (���New Zealand only four million people���) and being sarcastic ��� I told them how I went to university for seven years and he piped up and said it was because I was a slow learner. Oh well, his problem���
Video of children dancing
Then we all gathered at the assembly area outside and were treated to some dances by the parents (!) and the older girls. After that they had trees for us to plant, which is apparently an important symbol to acknowledge distinguished visitors. It was more moving than I had anticipated, as this little boy unwrapped a seedling, held it out to me, and we both lowered it into the ground and pushed the soil around it.

Planting a tree at Mulala school, with help
No comments:
Post a Comment