start here...
I promise not to dwell on this.
When we got back to Emali from visiting our children’s homes, we were taken to a building nearby to hear from a group of women who have AIDS. They sang for us and made the customary speeches, which were all interpreted.
Now I must admit that I was bored, but this is Africa and people must be allowed to express themselves. When we got to the end of the time, looking back I realised how important this was for them, to talk to us; AIDS awareness being one of the key activities of CCF in Emali. Having been exposed to this directly through initially sponsoring Maundu (who died of AIDS when he was just six years old), I knew how the disease was and is a big problem here. We weren’t there so much for us as for them. Eight of the twenty or so women there had children who were being sponsored.
At the dinner/debriefing table that night, two vocal groups arose. There were those who thought it shouldn’t have been done at the time, because it had been a long day and the primary reason we were there was to see our children. Then there were those who thought it was wonderful and powerful and were disgusted by those who didn’t. The ‘discussion’ actually turned rather ugly and I spoke up and said yes I was tired but I’ve come to appreciate the bigger picture, and it’s not about us but the community.
Now it is the next morning so we shall see if the dust has settled (ha ha). People were tired and cranky last night so hopefully it doesn’t cause a rift in the group – although I think nobody wanted to swap vans anyway.
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment