Saturday, May 26, 2012

25 May: Brussels (Ghent)

Yesterday I mentioned how there’s not much to do in Brussels, so having googled ‘places to go in Belgium’ we decided to take a day trip to Ghent. And I’m really glad we did. It was only 40 minutes by train, and easy to find your way around the historical part of the city. It wasn’t swamped with souvenir shops and hop-on-hop-off buses. Today being Friday, they had a market on (but mainly selling meat, fish, clothes, and second-hand goods).

But perhaps the coolest part about it was that every time you turned a corner, there was something else to see. I’d read about the Gravensteen castle, and knew roughly how to get there, but coming around a corner to see it in front of us was still a surprise.

Anyway we had a very cool day today – I’ll let the pictures speak now!

Streets and canals

Gravensteen

View from the keep at Gravensteen



View of the 'three towers' (St Nicholas' church, the Belfry, St Bavo's cathedral), from St Michael's bridge

No comments: