Today we went to the Akershus castle and had a wander around. The castle itself wasn’t open, because apparently in May they have many official functions there (the 17th being Norway’s Constitution Day). But in any case it was nice to be able to walk around the grounds.
While we were there we marvelled at the Queen Mary 2 which was in port.
After that we headed up to the Oslo By-Museum which was described as having exhibits from 1000 years of Oslo’s history, but since most of the displays were only in Norwegian, we didn’t really know what we were looking at so it was a fairly brief visit.
You’ll remember from yesterday I described some of the weirdos we saw, well, today you get pictures. I present to you the Oslo weirdo montage. (This doesn’t include the guy who was arguing with himself; he looked relatively normal.) The girl pulling her non-wheeled bag behind her – even some of the locals watched her and laughed at her. She stopped to light a ‘special cigarette’ shortly afterwards.
click the picture for a larger version
This really reminds me of a kid in a youth group I was running a number of years ago, who came out with the classic line: ‘If everyone was weird, weird wouldn’t be weird, weird would be normal!’
On our way back to the apartment we stopped at the train station to pick up our tickets for the trip to Bergen tomorrow, which goes via some of the fjords. We had a bit of an awkward conversation when we collected the train tickets, because the guy behind the counter saw that we were from New Zealand and said, ‘I understand New Zealand is very similar to Norway. Do you agree?’ I said something about how we have fjords too – trying not to think about how many more weirdos Oslo has per head of population; mind you it’s been a while since I visited Courtenay Place – and he said, ‘Yes, and the climate, too, yes?’ I replied we had only been in Norway for one day so we didn’t really know, but probably. ‘I haven’t been there but I heard New Zealand has some spectacular scenery?’ Yes, I can agree with that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment