Monday, April 7, 2008

What do you need a collarbone for anyway?

Yes, well, that's a bit of a rhetorical question, the collarbone is the only bone that connects the arm to the sternum - and you never really think about these sorts of things until they break. Like my left collarbone.

It's quite a short story really: first soccer game of the season, 30 minutes into the first half I got tripped by some unco on the opposition team, landed awkwardly on my shoulder. It didn't hurt too much at the time, so I stayed for the rest of the game before heading off to A&E.

They didn't show me the x-ray but apparently it was pretty clear it was broken. So the advice was to keep my arm in a sling and take painkillers as often as needed.


Not my collarbone, but mine would look like this...

I slept really well last night, but trying to get dressed this morning was unbelievably painful. Apparently this is normal! but the sensation of bone ends grinding along each other is something I could really do without. (I don't think I'll ever be able to have kids...)

So from here on for the next few weeks it'll be taking one day at a time. It's too early to say whether I should cancel my US trip or not. They said the bones should start knitting around day 10 - which would be the day I'm supposed to be leaving. But even if I do sort of feel ok, is it worth taking a trip to the US - land of the impossible health system - because if something goes wrong, it would go very very wrong?

Your thoughts and advice please! especially if you're in the US (hi Regina...)

2 comments:

Regina Eva said...

Okay, first of all "unco" define, please, is this "uncoordinated female soccer player"? And, heading off to A&E, as in the arts and entertainment network famous for its show "inside the actors' studio"? Still don't know what the deal is with your trip to the US, do tell. Sorry about your collar bone and the subsequent pain from getting dressed, might I suggest a Kimono?
PS this is exactly one of my 17 reasons why I don't play sports, Bridget!

Bridget said...

Hi Regina,

Yes 'unco' = unco-ordinated. Not just unco-ordinated female soccer players, although in this case it was.

A&E = accident and emergency (hospital department)

I guess I'll have to put a kiwi dictionary together at some point. Well I have lots of time at the moment... watch this space.

Trip to the US in a nutshell: meant to be leaving next Thursday to Chicago, a week there, then a week in New York, then 12 days at Stanford. In each place going to my favourite sychrotron facility and for completely different experiments.
The question is should I go or not, with my shoulder how it is.