For the last 6 years I have been sponsoring a child through CCF (now Childfund) in Kenya, in the village of Emali which is on the Nairobi-Mombasa highway, also known as the AIDS highway. Mombasa is a port, and Nairobi is the capital of Kenya, so there are a lot of trucks, hence a lot of small towns providing services to the drivers, naturally one of these 'services' are brothels and it doesn't take much imagination from there to understand why this road is called the AIDS highway. The 'Emali project' (which includes not only child sponsorship, but community work, building projects, AIDS education, health provisions etc.) is entirely funded by the New Zealand branch of CCF.
The first child I sponsored was called Maundu. I started sponsoring him when he was 5. He was an orphan, the child of an unknown father and a mother who died of AIDS. The letters I received gave a glimpse into his sad life - constantly being shipped from one family member to another, not going to school, constantly sick, etc. About 18 months after I started sponsoring him I received a letter from the head office to say that Maundu had died of AIDS, and would I like to sponsor another child in his place? Say, from the same village?
So that is how I ended up sponsoring Tom. Once again he was 5 when I started sponsoring him, but his life is one of hope, and in fact, great faith. His father is the minister of a church in the community. He has three brothers (Erick, John and Samson) and 'sisters' (plural, but no number or names...) and his mother runs a free pre-school in the community for people who can't afford to send their children to school. They only have a small plot of land for growing vegetables etc. and are constantly relying on people to give them food to survive. But they acknowledge God's hand in all of this and thank Him for every blessing He provides. It is amazing to read this in the letters.
"The place here is very dry. we had not receive rain for quite a long period. Everything is drying off. People are going from place to place in search of pastures for their cattle, but many of them are drying... Pray for us because of this critical condition. In all we still give thanks to God, for the seasons belongs to him."

Tom outside his house.
In about July last year, Childfund announced that they were organising a 'study tour' to Kenya, specifically for sponsors of children in Emali to have the chance to visit. The numbers were limited to 16, so I got in quickly and booked a place. Almost every letter I have received from Tom's family has mentioned how much they would like to see me, and I would certainly like to see them. Tom's birthday is the day after mine and he will be 10 this year, so he is at the stage where he will be able to remember it. I haven't written yet to tell them I am coming but no doubt they will find out in due course. The trip was a bit touch-and-go for a while because of the riots following the elections there last December, but now things have settled down and we are definitely going.
I have been trying to think of appropriate gifts to take over. Tom likes to sing and dance and act out Bible stories, so I thought about making some hand puppets to give to him. Maybe a recorder (flute-type instrument) as well? Also to take a soccer ball and pump (transport it deflated) that they can use at the school or wherever. Maybe some Bibles as well? but do they use English in church over there? Not sure about that one.
Any and all other suggestions are most welcome, because I know that when I get there two puppets and a ball will feel pretty insignificant! The only conditions are, they have to fit into my suitcase, and if it's something that can be used or shared by a group of people or children, or to benefit a group, that will be the best. And obviously nothing that is going to need electricity or batteries! I might take some books of stickers to give to the other kids; I read a suggestion of taking cookware for the family but that could be a bit heavy and bulky in my bag.
Looking forward to hearing your ideas!!
No comments:
Post a Comment