
This is the first day (night? ah - '24-hour period') of experiments. It hasn't been too bad to adjust to working nights, because it's almost NZ time anyway. Which will be good for keeping in email contact with people back home (once the weekend is over).
Neither of the chairs in my room at the guest house were particularly conducive to sleeping in, so I've bit the bullet and tried sleeping in the bed. Kind of like a regular person, except it resembles a nest when I get out of it. It hasn't been too painful to get out of, although both nights I had weird dreams about something trying to attack me (first night a lizard, second night a cat) and moved quickly to get out of the way - which promptly resulted in pain shooting through my shoulder and making me wake up.
Anyway it's not the first time I've had to work nights, and probably won't be the last. Although, the Argonne guest house is probably one of the better places I've stayed in for having to sleep through the day (the walls are thick enough to block out the noise, and the curtains are thick enough to block out the light). So there aren't as many sacrifices that need to be made, apart from the food choices at 3 am being pretty limited (vending machine contents, or food we bought at the supermarket yesterday).
By the way the pizza place (the original Pizzeria Uno) was ok; maybe if we'd ordered something with more meat and fewer onions and mushrooms I would have been happier. Our waitress was a bit of a dag. Conrad had finished his cranberry juice and she asked if he wanted another, but then realised that it wasn't on the list of free top-up drinks. He said, 'Oh well, could I have a beer then?', to which she replied, 'Sure. Oh, that's not a top-up either.'
She must have been about 60. You don't mind tipping for service like that.
(For all my US readers: tipping is not something we do in NZ. The minimum wage is a lot higher here. So it's a bit of a foreign concept to us that takes a bit of getting used to. 'When in Rome', and all that.)
5 comments:
As a NY Italian, I can say that the Uno pizza causes MUCH consternation in my family, my mother likens it to "a biscuit crust topped with ketchup and cheddar cheese". Not the kindest description. I'm sorry you are in so much pain!!!
Yeah, upon reminiscing I think I've had much nicer 'Chicago style' pizzas from the frozen section of a supermarket. I like my pizza base chewy, not crunchy. Plus using a knife and fork is a bit difficult at the moment - even one after the other!
Maybe they've had a change of kitchen staff/management since the person who recommended it to us went?
no, I think "chicago's finest" is just what you had...and I love the idea of using silverware one at a time! Have you heard of the movie Expelled with Ben Stein? It looks interesting, everyone from CCMV saw it together yesterday. I love Ben Stein!
I shared your 'biscuit crust topped with ketchup and cheese' analogy with the others who came and they thought it was funny.
Have you tried cutting a biscuit crust using a knife by itself, without sticking your elbow out? You should, it'll make you laugh... (but make sure you have a mop handy!)
I was sent an email about the movie, sounds interesting. Also saw a review in the paper here that was less than flattering, but what can you expect. Hopefully it makes it to the cinemas in NZ.
Bridget,
Still excited thinking about you coming and attempting to cut pizza one-handed (like the Fugitive?)
The movie looks funny, Ben Stein is a genius conservative thinker. I think it got horrible reviews, but that isn't surprising. After reading "The Language of God" by the lead scientist behind the human genome project, I felt very confused about evolution/creation...the whole nine yards. If you like to read and track the books you like, check out goodreads.
http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDY2MzgzODI6MzE3%0A it is a social networking site "a virtual library" for book lovers and I'm addicted!
-Regina
Post a Comment