Friday, April 18, 2008

Chicago, Chicago

Well here I am in the 'windy city' (and I thought the 'windy city' was meant to refer to Wellington - only uttered by Aucklanders of course, and at their own peril), after some 18 or so hours on a plane cramped into a seat with a sore shoulder. Ibuprofen is my new best friend...

Anyway I am here at the APS (Advanced Photon Source, a 7 GeV synchrotron facility at Argonne National Laboratory just outside Chicago) with two colleagues from Victoria University back home to look at x-ray reflectivity and diffraction from Langmuir monolayers. We take a single layer of a particular type of molecule and fry it with an x-ray beam. Fun stuff!

We arrived at the lab just after midnight local time. I took my time to unpack and have a shower. Major achievement for the day: I managed to get a t-shirt on. But I still don't want to risk sleeping in a bed, in case I can't get out of it (the bed in the guest house room feels pretty lumpy anyway).

Tomorrow (or should that be, later on today) is set to be pretty cruisy: I have to repeat some training, then the others are going to prepare solutions etc. and the plan is to go to the 'best' pizza restaurant in Chicago for dinner. My first time out and about in the city - woohoo! - and this is my fourth time here!!

Yes, I really do need to get out more.

No comments: