Wednesday, July 9, 2008

About as useful as a screen door on a submarine



Imagine my joy at receiving this incredibly generous fuel discount voucher at the supermarket today.

Given that petrol (that's "gas" if you live in the US) is currently NZ$2.19 a litre (about US$6.50 a gallon), a 2c discount... yeah well it could save me on a single piece of toilet paper for this week perhaps?

Petrol went up 12 cents in 3 days a couple of weeks ago, which meant I had to fill up with it costing $2.12, less a 6c discount, grand total over $70. Then we hear on the news that every $5 per barrel that crude oil increases, means a 6c per litre increase at the pump.
But then crude oil fell by $5.39 today. I know because I saw it on TV. So surely we should expect the petrol price to fall too? Yeah... pull the other one, it plays jingle bells.

A few years ago, petrol companies would go up and down by a couple of cents a litre, several times a day. It was ridiculous. Now they've changed to doing big jumps every couple of weeks, without warning. Which is also ridiculous.

I've been having mixed reactions to the whole petrol price thing. I should probably try cycling to work... but it's cold in the mornings right now. I can't manage without the car, because I have to get mountains of stuff down to church for the kids' programme, plus public transport in New Zealand is rubbish. So I just grimace and bear with it, and keep track of how much I'm now having to spend on petrol vs. food.

Anybody else like to share how fuel prices are affecting your lifestyle?

No comments: