Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thunderstorms in New Hampshire

Well the conference is less than interesting, I have a cold, and the weather leaves a lot to be desired. In short, I can't wait to go home...

My talk was ok, but I really should have looked into things (i.e. what the conference is about) and declined on the basis that it is outside my field. I feel kind of guilty that the conference organisers have paid for half of the trip and I'm skipping the sessions to do other stuff (or else staying in there and doing crossword puzzles because I'm bored out of my tree). There is a talk tonight on synchrotron techniques which I think is going to be the highlight for me. Anyway we shall see, and in the meantime I won't get my hopes up too much.

The place we are at is in the middle of NOWHERE. I walked 40 minutes into 'town' the other day (needed to buy some tissues and cold medicine) and got more than just glanced at by a couple of guys, if you know what I mean. I guess they don't get much practise at being discrete around girls. That was pretty close to where somebody had parked a pick-up truck with trailer on the back, 2 cows in the trailer. All rather amusing... but still I can't wait to go back home.

No comments: