I arrived at Stanford yesterday (and yes Regina I'm getting around to calling you!) - the weather has been great so far. It's sunny but not hot. Makes a change from NY, where the sun came out and we all stood around saying, 'what's that bright thing in the sky?'
My 'neighbour' at the guest house decided to play his guitar at about 10:30-11:00 last night. With paper-thin walls you can imagine how much that was appreciated. I wanted to take his guitar and beat him with it - after I'd tuned it of course, which was something he obviously hadn't done. Aaargh...
Anyway there has been no guitar-playing at the beamline, and the front desk told me he was only here for four nights so hopefully I won't go too insane in that time.
Our experiment set-up slowly fell into place. It is currently 8:31 pm and we are about an hour away from finishing the first (and easiest) sample. The next one, which will run overnight, should also be fairly straightforward but from then on it all gets a bit tricky. There are several papers already published on similar things, so we have to demonstrate something additional to those - and they're all really good. Eek...
Add to that, there are only two of us and we have 10 days to cover (although there are two days off in the middle). However, again it's a case of working with collaborators who don't seem to care that much about the experiments, so if we don't get super results or don't finish everything, I won't be kicking myself.
Tonight I also requested an upgrade for my trip back to NZ on the 12th, since I recently got a complimentary one for being a frequent flyer. The complimentary upgrade is only valid for a year, and it'll be better for my shoulder to have a bit more room. I used one last year on my flight going back to NZ permanently, and it was great.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment