Sunday, May 18, 2008

Collarbone, Rotorua, and preparing for Kenya

I only get one week back home before heading off to Kenya (!) so I'm staying at my parents' place because I'm still not 100% good with driving. Yes I was driving while in the US, but those cars were automatics and you're sitting on the other side. To drive here would require me to be constantly using my bad arm to change gears. Not a happening thing.

So I went back to the hospital to have another x-ray and fracture clinic appointment, this time I actually got to see the x-ray and it didn't look all that good to me. It's aligned ok in one direction (front-on) but not the other, probably by about 80% or so. I have to go back in another month and no sport in the meantime. But I am gradually getting more and more movement in the arm and shoulder, and have only had to use the sling once since I got back.

I'm trying hard to keep out of the way as far as being an invalid requiring stuff goes, because my dad is home recovering from his bypass op. He asked me the other day if I could turn the TV around for him to watch. I looked at him like, 'that'll cost you' and took my time, with one hand. Bah.

Tomorrow I am going to up Rotorua to give a talk and show the results of some synchrotron experiments to some people there. I've done the presentation, but I need to finish the report I was writing for them.

Yesterday afternoon was spent shopping for the gifts I'm taking to Kenya. We ended up with:
- soccer ball and pump
- coloured pencils
- regular pencils
- pencil sharpeners
- crayons
- sewing kit
- plastic box set
- toy cars
- stickers
along with the hand puppets I made earlier

Some are for the school that we're visiting (pencils and sharpeners), the toy cars are for Tom and his brothers, the stickers I got some sheets of little stickers and cut them into 20's so I can just give them to the kids - there's about 80 sets. I had hoped there would be more but one of the sets I got had various symbols that are not appropriate.

Anyway here's hoping I can fit it all into my bag :)

No comments: