Friday, March 27, 2015

Day 1

So the surgery went well. It turned out that the disc was still attached and was still intact, but had popped out of place - all consistent with how I injured my jaw, I guess. So now it is back where it should be. I am a bit confused as to what was actually done, as the original paperwork said 'TMJ arthrotomy' (i.e. open surgery on the joint) but my discharge paperwork says 'TMJ arthroscopy' (i.e. keyhole surgery). Anyway that might become clearer once the steristrips come off and I can see the incision.

But back to the beginning. I had to be at the hospital by 7 am, where they showed me to my room and I got changed and all the paperwork checked. The specialist came by to tell me one last time what he'd be doing, then it was the anaesthetist's turn. The anaesthetic kicked in really quickly; so much so that I could barely answer the questions as we went through to theatre. Waking up was strange - it was like I woke up twice: once from a pretty vivid dream, then through another stage of blurry thought to realise where I was. It was quite different to the last general anaesthetic I had, where I felt like a zombie for several hours.

Not too long after waking up, I was back in my room and kind of dozed on and off for a while. I felt a bit sick, probably because I was quite hot (they'd covered me with a blanket and I had to wear compression stockings the whole time). Mum and Dad came by to see me as I was having lunch: Soup and jelly and icecream - not all together. I had to stay overnight. Dinner was scrambled egg. I managed to listen to most of the cricket on the radio (second World Cup semifinal between Australia and India). I even managed to get some sleep during the night!

Around lunch time, 5 hours post op

Breakfast the next morning (today) was scrambled egg, porridge and yoghurt. The specialist came by to see me, take the bandages off, and tell me what to expect i.e. more bruising and swelling to come and then eventually subside. I have a follow-up appointment on 7 April, when he'll take the stitches out, so about 10 days from now.

In the meantime, it's a concoction of painkillers, soup, jelly, ice cream, mashed veges, scrambled eggs and so forth. The pain isn't too bad right now. Thanks to everyone who has been praying for me.


Bandages off, 24 hrs post op

Breakfast

36 hrs post op

36 hrs post op

No comments: