
I arrived back from San Francisco this morning. The flight was pretty full, and I managed to get about 6 hours’ sleep. But still, knowing that I’ve essentially been awake since ‘midnight’ and have to last until 8 pm makes me feel even more tired than I actually am.
So, while sitting on a surprisingly comfortable couch in the domestic terminal at Auckland, trying not to fall asleep too much, I checked the time on my pocket clock that Mum had given me for Christmas. My watch stopped working a few days ago and it’s the only timepiece that I have. It’s inscribed with my favourite Bible verse, Isaiah 40:31, on the face.

“They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will rise up on wings like eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint.”
The reason this was my favourite verse when I was younger was about the flying part. But in more recent years, the rest of it has also come to mean something special to me. It’s about pressing on, continuing to move forward. Even when you can’t fly, you can run, and when you can’t run any more you can still walk.
As I’ve mentioned earlier, my work schedule is crazy for the first part of this year at least. Today I have a board meeting at the Synchrotron Group and then we are doing a letterbox drop for CKC tonight. I have a bunch of things that need organising, yet somehow in the last two weeks away, things I thought would be difficult to organise ‘remotely’ have been easy.
So when reflecting on this verse just now, it struck me how God has equipped me with the strength to endure. I have nothing in myself that enables me to cope with all this stuff. To God be the glory, great things He has done, and great things He will do. May my life be just a simple tool in His hands.
No comments:
Post a Comment