I went to see my GP on the Monday after I got back from the trip, as the doctor at the medical centre in Queenstown had said if my jaw hadn't settled down in 2-3 weeks I might need to see a specialist. He poked and prodded and agreed to refer me. I rang up to book an appointment at a private clinic a couple of days later, and was told the earliest appointment they could make was the 24th of... June. But they also offered to put me on the 'short notice' waiting list. Since my work hours are quite flexible, this was not a problem. A little over a week later I got the call asking me to come in the next day (Tuesday 13th). They did a CT scan of my jaw, which showed that it was actually broken.
The good news is I don't have to have my jaw wired shut, or surgery or anything at this stage. There is a bit of a kink in the bone at the fracture (which is located about level with the earlobe on the right hand side of my face) but providing I don't chew too much and refrain from contact sports and don't fall off my bike again (just as well it's winter ay?) it should heal reasonably well by itself. The soft tissue in the joint will supposedly sort itself out but might take a year or two.
I go back for a quick check on 4 June.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
In other news...
1) I'm now an auntie to Aaron Stuart, born 24 April. Congrats to Stu and Nicola!
2) This weekend we start training in earnest for our marathon walk in Brisbane on 2 August
3) I go to Melbourne next week for a workshop and to give an invited talk
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment