Here are some pics from my trip to Hobart in mid-October. The trip was for a badminton tournament, but there was also enough time for some sightseeing.
Day 1, Salamanca Markets.
The next day we walked (a long way) to the Botanic Gardens.
Later in the week the weather warmed up a lot and I had a whole afternoon to myself, so chose to hire a bike and head up Mt Wellington (4000').
This is about as far as I got - about 3 km short of the top but the view was well worth it and so was the adrenaline rush heading back down!
On the last day I went on a tour to Richmond...
... Tasman Peninsula...
... Port Arthur...
... Port Arthur...
... and a Tasmanian devil wildlife sanctuary...
... where they also had a birds of prey show. Bumped into some other ladies from my team there, one of them got to hold the tawny frogmouth.
I won't be going to another badminton tournament, but I wouldn't mind spending more time in Tasmania. It was quite laid back and just adds to my theory on the comparison between New Zealand and Australian cities:
Sydney = Auckland (big, bustly, not the capital but would like to be)
Melbourne = Wellington (arts centre, cafe culture)
Adelaide = Christchurch (gardens - and I only found out recently, they are actually sister cities)
Perth = Tauranga (laid back, nice beaches, place where people go to retire)
Hobart = Dunedin (southern-most, really laid back, friendly people, has a building that looks like a castle, Cadbury factory, both even have a Portobello Road)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











No comments:
Post a Comment