Friday, November 26, 2010

Another two weeks in Melbourne

I'm at the Australian Synchrotron at the moment, having attived on Tuesday last week. Cue 5 days of experiments (Wed-Mon), then the annual user meeting (Mon-Wed) then another 5 days (Thurs-Tues), the latter of which is where I am now.

Our first experiments were looking at crystallisation of zinc oxide from sol gels using X-ray diffraction. Conceptually quite easy (especially compared to other experiments I've tried to do here), but not without its challenges. Most of the problems were sample related rather than beamline so that's ok - and we have thought of some ways to alleviate many of those if we come back a second time.

On our final day I was at the beamline at around 4:30 am, finishing off a temperature calibration and tidying up. From there it was straight into the city to go to the user meeting, after which a group of us decided to go to dinner, which was nice, but made for a very long day! I had a poster to present which was a bit of a rush job given the timing but hey.

The user meeting finished on Wednesday afternoon and I managed to get a ride with someone back to the synchrotron, where I met up with collaborators who had started preparing things for soft X-ray spectroscopy experiments the following day. This brings us to right now, day 2 of experiments with another weekend of work looming. I will be glad to get home!

No comments: