Sunday, July 4, 2010

De-facebooking, and other stuff

So it's been about three weeks since I last posted anything here, mainly because not a lot has happened - no overseas trips, no disasters or emergencies; things have just been muddling along. And for some reason this has given me a real case of the blues. Things are a bit better this week, but last week was just awful - not because anything bad happened, but for whatever reason the joy just went out of my life for a while. I asked for prayer at church last Sunday and things have been much better since. Perhaps it's because the wintery weather has been really miserable this year; perhaps because I haven't had as much time as I need to spend in Bible study (badminton three nights a week doesn't help there); perhaps because of spiritual attack. It's not out of the question...

Anyway as part of getting out of the rut and back into the groove (haha, get it?) I was convicted by the Holy Spirit to stop spending time on Facebook. There had been a few incidents lately that left me less than impressed with some of my 'friends', and writing something on someone's status and then have somebody who I don't know write on it and say what I'd said was 'a load of cr*p', was pretty much the final straw.

As some of you will know, I was a bit reluctant to sign up for facebook in the first place. About a year ago I noted on this blog how it was concerning me how much time I was spending there. So things kind of came to a head last week, and I figured, I can do without it, my real friends know how to contact me outside of facebook, and after all it's more healthy to have real relationships rather than online ones.

What a relief it has been, although deleting a facebook account is really not easy - I did my best though; deleting as many of my posts as I could be bothered to, deleting all my photos, deleting all my 'interests' and other biographical info, then finally disconnecting all the people I was connected to and clicking that 'Deactivate account'. Woo!



(This isn't the button, by the way; I just made it up - but imagine if it was...)

No comments: