Saturday, January 30, 2010

Wedding bells

Today my youngest brother is getting married. Over the last several months, since their engagement, I've struggled to understand my emotions about all of this.

On the one hand, I acknowledge that it is a part of life and it is God-ordained. But on another I'm upset about it, and I don't really know why. Maybe because I'm still single, maybe because it feels like I'm losing him (although I'm not really - on the contrary; I'm gaining a sister!).

I spent some time in prayer last night, on and off. The following passages of Scripture came to mind:

"Jesus replied, Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." (Matt. 19:11-12)

I remember coming across this passage in my 'teens, and thinking even then that somehow it applied to me. Then here is another one:

"I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion...
"Nevertheless, each one whould retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him...
"Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgement as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy. Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are...
"I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs - how he can please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world - how he can please his wife - and his interests are divided.
An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world - how she can please her husband. I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord." (1 Cor. 7:1-2, 7-9, 17, 25-26, 32-35)

This whole chapter is relevant, but I've highlighted above the verse that is for me at the present time.

I've known God my entire life. I've known how much He loves me since I can remember anything. I've grown into a fuller and fuller understanding of just what that means, and I'm almost ashamed to think that any human love I might receive could ever compare with that.

For sure, there are great benefits to marriage. It's God's invention for creating families and sharing His love between each other. He said Himself, "It is not good for man to be alone; I will make a helper suitable for him" (Gen. 2:18).

But at this stage in my life, with so many opportunities to travel for work, and so little time to spare, being single does enable me to use that time in God's service and to spend time in prayer and studying the Bible. I'm not alone, because He is with me all the time. He may not be visible, but He's there.

I've already found the love of my life. And some day I will be His bride (2 Cor. 11:2, Rev. 19:7-8).

"I delight greatly in the LORD; my soul rejoices in my God. For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." (Isa 61:10)

Anyway today is not about me. It's about Stu and Nicola and the rest of their life. Congratulations and wishing you all the best.

No comments: