
A couple of weeks ago, you may recall I was in a bit of a dilemma over the Lake Taupo cycle challenge and whether I would be able to survive 160 km on a bike. Well, it turns out I don't have to - shortly afterward I received an email from some collaborators, whom I'd offered to help with synchrotron experiments in Australia, to say that we're going to Melbourne from 25-28 November. Which means I wouldn't be able to get to Taupo in time for the 29th.
So now those dates are booked - in addition to the 1-6 December for the Synchrotron users' meeting which had been arranged a couple of months ago. Yes, it might have made more sense to stay over for those couple of days in between, but it's two separate groups paying for the two trips. So I just let it roll. Besides, it means I don't miss a Sunday kids' Christmas practise...
Already I have some concrete plans for 2009: 14-28 Jan at Stanford and then 8-12 Feb in Dunedin for a conference, followed by hosting a visitor who's coming over from the US. We'll take a few days to head up north and do the Tongariro Northern Circuit. Should be fun!

We'll be expecting views like this
2 comments:
Looks awesome! Would love to do the Tongariro Crossing one of these days. We'll be in central north island region for a weeks' holiday after doing Trailwalker April 09, however I suspect the last thing we'll be wanting to do then is more walking!
Christina
The Tongariro Crossing is supposedly one of the best one-day walks. We wanted to go for a bit longer, hence choosing the northern circuit (3 days, around Mt Ngauruhoe).
When I did the OPC course through cadets, we followed part of the Tongariro Crossing track from Mangatepopo, climbed Tongariro and then back. That was in winter and about 12 years ago so this is all going to be uncharted territory for me :)
You're right - you'll be wanting a hot pool not another expedition!
Post a Comment