I'm in Melbourne at the moment helping some guys from Scion (ex Forestry Research NZ) with some x-ray scattering experiments. It's a brief visit: by this time tomorrow I'll be on a plane heading back home. The experiments have gone really well. The initial plan was loosely founded on some experiments I did at Stanford earlier in the year, where each scan was taking about 10 minutes to run.
At this, brand new, undulator beamline, each scan is taking 1-2 seconds. Very cool.
As a result, we have a lot more time than we were expecting, so have been able to try some more things. Like watching the wood dry, in situ. It's in a different league to watching paint dry though (which we did on a visit to SPring-8 in Japan in July 2007).
It's been a pretty cruisy time, because the three beamline scientists have been here nearly all of the time, since they are still commissioning the beamline and finding (and fixing) problems with it. So I haven't really needed to do very much...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment