As most of my readers will know, I have been interested in aviation for a long time, since I was around 11 years old. In high school I joined air cadets and had a lot of fun with that - gliding camps, tramping, 'Live and work' courses with the RNZAF. In my final year of high school (1997) I applied to become an air force pilot, made it through the local interviews and tests, and went up to Auckland for the Personnel Selection course, where I failed the co-ordination test. Thus ended my aspiration to become an air force pilot - but it didn't mean I couldn't be a normal pilot. The following year I went on the ATC national power flying course and went solo in a Cessna 152. I quit cadets a couple of months later; they didn't seem to be interested in promoting me and it was getting to be quite humiliating going to combined unit camps and having people whom I considered my peers at NCO courses and the like being two or three ranks above me. But my dream of flying didn't wane, and one day when I was looking through some of the material from the power flying course I noticed that it had my instructor's name and an address for a flying school in Paraparam. Sure enough, that was where he was instructing, so in July 1998 I started having lessons again.
I gained my Private Pilot's License in July 1999, one month after I turned 19. For the next few years I took loads of friends, family etc. on local scenic flights. Then in 2005 I moved to London for my post-doc, and made a conscious decision that the flying would have to be put on hold for a while. I joined the Imperial College gliding club while I was there. A year later when I moved to Stanford, it didn't even cross my mind to pick it up there - the thought of the reaction that a foreign passport and foreign pilot's license would elicit (not to mention that I had no free time) made that decision kind of easy.
Within a couple of months of moving back to NZ in 2007 I had bought a house. I'd tell people, 'Yeah, I have my pilot's license, but when I went overseas I let it lapse, and now I have a mortgage. But once I pay it off, then I can get back into it.' Well, that day has come. I'm now current again and a signed up member of the Kapiti Aero Club. So if you're in town and interested in going for a flight, just let me know!
The story in pictures:
Checking out a Wasp at 3 Sqn. RNZAF as part of a Live and Work course with air cadets, 1997
The obligatory photo with my instructor, John Neill, having just flown solo at the ATC National Power Flying course, 1998
Receiving my solo certificate at the ATC National Power Flying course, 1998
Taking some university friends up for a flight in a Cessna 172, 2002
Taking some Sunday school kids on a flight as a prize, 2004
Gliding at Lasham airfield with the Imperial College gliding club, 2006
Taking part in a forced landing competition at Kapiti Aero Club after only 2 refresher lessons, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment