Friday, April 22, 2011

No Good Friday?

So my church doesn't have a Good Friday service. That's not uncommon these days. But it still disturbs me. One could argue that Easter is the most important period of the year for Christians. If Jesus hadn't come and died on the cross, we would all be lost for eternity. It's only because of what happened, that we remember at Easter, that we can have any hope at all of salvation.

I also know that it's worse in the US; there, Good Friday isn't even a holiday. When I was living there I took the day off, to remember and that, but everyone thought I was weird.

Yet there was an interesting thing that happened yesterday. In the weekly email newsletter from the MacDiarmid Institute, of which I am a member, the director wrote:
"The Easter and Anzac long weekends are upon us and I hope that you are able to take some time away from your work to be with family and friends.  I am not sure what to say about the overlap of these two remembrance events (it is the first time I can remember them coinciding), except to say that it is a chance to reflect on the history and meaning that lies behind them."

I don't know the director's personal background. But it was encouraging to see him calling Easter a time of remembrance with 'history and meaning'.

No comments: