Saturday, November 14, 2009

Training for Trailwalker

Back in April I helped out as support crew for my friend Christina's Trailwalker team (you might remember this). I said then that I'd be willing to do the walking next year. So our team is now registered and I have started training. Incidentally this coincides with a 'walking programme' IRL is doing for 6 weeks from now until Christmas, where teams of four combine how many steps they do each day (measured by an oh-so-accurate pedometer) and see how far down the length of the country they can get. Some people seem to be taking it really competitively; I think our team is just interested in seeing just how many steps we do take on an average day. (For example, just pottering around home, driving to work, pottering around there gets me about 5000 - that's without going for a walk at lunch time as we normally do, or playing sport, or going for a run when I get home.)

So most days I will go for a walk or play soccer at lunchtime, and if I'm feeling energetic when I get home and have time to, I'll go for a run. Anyway on Thursday I walked to work, and back home, 7 km each way. It's a start for the 100 km and if I learnt anything from watching people last Trailwalker, the key to completing it is how much training you do.

You can donate to our team here. If everyone I knew donated just $5 it would see my share covered...

No comments: