The last few weeks have been pretty uneventful, hence the lack of posting. I helped out as emcee at Al's birthday party and was coming down with a cold already, so I don't think having to raise my voice helped that any. It's now almost two weeks later and I still have a cough.
Other than that I've been pottering around the house, following the rugby (Wellington is on a roll this year, having won the Ranfurly Shield earlier and on track to the finals - hope they don't choke like last year), trying to do a bit of bike riding in the lead up to the Lake Taupo cycle challenge, and spending way too much time on facebook. Oh, and for a challenge of a different sort I've tried to start learning Dvorak. Although I do run into trouble sometimes and accidentally hit the shortcut to switch keyboards, carry on typing in qwerty and get something like orm.ydcbi nct. ydcov
The election: well, I can't wait until it's over. It's pretty obvious who's going to win.
Now you're wondering if I'm referring to the US or the NZ election... does it matter? Except one of them I can do something about, and one I can't.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I wouldn't presume who's going to win the US election just yet.... :-) The press over here is certainly giving Barak enough free publicity to account for tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of free advertising and campaigning. That he only has a 9 point lead says loads about his real popularity, and it says a lot about the condition the US would be in if he wins.
:-)
Russ
So what's the voter turnout like in the US?
It's about 75% in NZ.
The turnout here int he US is something along the lines of 12%--not many people can be bothered to turn up and vote. A lot of this, I think, is because of the modern "science" of polling, which convinces most folks they don't need to vote long before election day--either they think their candidate is going to win, or they think their candidate is going to lose. And, either way, why bother?
:-)
Russ
Wow... that is incredible.
So if everybody supporting a particular candidate voted for him (/her) he (/she) would only need 7% support across the country to become the president?
And don't you guys get a paid day off work so you can go and vote? (ours is always held on a Saturday, so naturally, we don't.)
I'm astounded, really. America, who goes out to force other countries to have a democracy, to have elections, doesn't even bother to vote... there's something very wrong with this picture.
Post a Comment